Now that you have the outline of your post, we need to find the keywords that will help the search engines to find and understand what your content is all about. Keywords and keyphrases mean the same thing and can be 1 or many words (in case you were wondering).
Keyword research is important to find the right keywords you want to rank for. It will be easier to target longtail keywords that will rank easier with less competition. Longtail keywords are usually 3 or more words.
Find a suitable focus keyword to cover the topic of your post. Include the focus keyword or variations of it in your subheadings. Then find suitable and related keywords to include in each answer. There are many free and paid keyword research tools available online. Here are a few popular keyword tools to get you started.
Keyword Research Tools
- Google Keyword planner
- Google Suggest – start typing and see what keywords Google suggests
- Ahrefs keyword generator
- MOZ Keyword tool
- Ubersuggest keyword discovery tool
Tips for creating great content
- Create unique content and include relevant keywords in each subsection.
- Spelling and good grammar are important to look professional.
- Write in plain and simple English.
- Create a title for your post that people will find interesting.
4 free tools to help with your content creation.
There are loads of tools available online to improve your content. Here are a few of the most popular ones:
- Grammarly – spellcheck your work
- Hemmingway App – improve the quality of your content
- Headline/Title generator – create a great headline
- Copyscape – plagiarism checker
Optimise for a Search Engine Friendly Blog Post
Your WordPress site should have an SEO plugin installed and configured to deal with the basic SEO settings. There a quite a few available and most will do a great job. The 2 most popular SEO Plugins are Yoast and Rankmath. They are easy to install and configure. Installing one of these plugins with basic settings will improve the way search engines crawl and index your site.
If you want to improve on the default optimisation settings for your post, go to the SEO section of your post and follow the recommendations.
Each page or post is scored with traffic lights or a score. A green traffic light or score of 80/100 and above are the recommended targets.
Basic optimisation of your blog post using an SEO plugin:
- Select a focus keyword and use it in the following areas (E.g. Features That Your Homepage Must Have)
- Create a great title tag for your post and include your focus keyword and your brand
- Example: 7 Features That Your Homepage Must Have| Greenlight Web
- Create a compelling meta description to stand out from the rest of the search results
- Example: A homepage is the most important page of any website. Here are a few features that your homepage must have to improve your visibility.
- Add images and include the focus keyword in the image alt text.
- Body text – use the focus keyword throughout the content where relevant, but don’t repeat over and over.
- Shorter URLs seem to be more user friendly. Around 70 characters are ideal and don’t forget to include your focus keyword.
- Longer form content ranks better than shorter form. 500 words should be the minimum. Aim for 1000 or more so that you can cover a good number of subtopics. This will increase the number of keywords relevant to the post as well. (E.g. 5 questions with 100-200 word answers should easily take you past 1000 words).
- Internal links – link to your product or service pages as well as other relevant blog posts where possible.
Promote your content
Always promote your blog post. Social media and email marketing are the most popular. Why not start a newsletter and promote your latest blog post to your subscribers?